Thursday, March 27, 2008

Talib Kweli

You may be asking, "what or who is Talib Kweli?" Well, Talib Kweli is a hip-hop artist that John and I went to see on Monday night. He is one of John's favorites and I greatly enjoy him as well. I remember months back there was a petition going around to try to get him to come perform here, so I guess it worked! He performed at the Power Center, which is an auditorium I had never been to before. It was fairly old, but every seat in the house seemed to be a good one. The place was packed and it was a great show. The opening act was beatbox champion Rahzel. He was amazing. Here is a video of him doing a popular Kanye West song, "Jesus Walks". Keep in mind that he is making every sound you hear. It becomes especially impressive when he sings the melody over the beat. It gets more complex as the song goes on.

By the way, he is the dark shape at the front of the stage. The white guy is DJ JS-1, who you can clearly see is not playing any music.

4 comments:

Steve said...

Rahzel is the announcer on the snowboarding game SSX Tricky. I think we saw Talib Kweli as an opening act for the Beastie Boys a couple years ago.

Ulie said...

SWEEEEET!!! I love "Jesus Walks", and it was so cool to hear Rahzel's version of it. I think I'm living my musical-social life through your blog, Michelle... and loving it! :)
I'm so sorry you're sick, though. :( I thinking about you.

Ulie said...

I mean, I'M thinking about you. Good grief I can't even type. ;)

Michelle said...

You know, I was wondering if that was the guy we saw before the Beastie Boys. I had remembered that he had a weird name and that a lot of people in the audience seemed to know his stuff. He also has a group "Black Star" with Mos Def, who incidentally also performed at Michigan a few months ago (that is, Mos Def, not Black Star). John went to that concert and said it was even better than Talib Kweli.

Julia - you crack me up..."I thinking about you!" I'm glad you can enjoy your music vicariously through me. :-)