Wednesday, March 19, 2008

"If You Have a Phone..."

"...YOU have a lawyer." That was the slogan I most remember from those attorney-at-law commercials so prevalent on the TV and radio growing up. But the commercial I heard last night might take the cake. It went like this (no lie):

[male voiceover] "Are you considering doing away with your spouse? Consider divorce." Then followed the name and number of So-and-So, attorney-at-law.

I could not believe it! I was half laughing, half stunned. I have never heard that pitch before. And just having come from my social marketing class where we talked about how to grab an audience's attention by making it relevant to them made me wonder just who this commercial was targeting. The image that popped into my head was people surreptitiously convening with hired hit men in their cars, making nefarious plans to "do away with" their spouse. I couldn't believe this ad was so blatantly targeting these people! Are they really that large of a customer base for a divorce lawyer? Running out of the run-of-the-mill aspiring divorcees?

I guess the bad part is I didn't remember the name of the lawyer, but I did remember how awful I thought the ad was. He won't be getting my business!

2 comments:

Steve said...

That's a ridiculous commercial! Maybe they think they're doing a service by giving those potential spouse-murderers an alternative!

erin said...

ha ha ha! that's awesome! what a quality commercial.