Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Lactose Intolerant? Check.

Many times have I wondered, "Am I really lactose intolerant, or is it just other stuff that makes me feel ill?" Well, that question was answered pretty definitively tonight. We had another roommate dinner, this time a traditional Chilean dish since my roommate Eric is from Chile. Despite my telling him yesterday that I can't have anything with milk, cream, or cheese, he forgot and made part of the dish with a bunch of milk. Luckily we could leave that part off, so I was able to have the dish sans lactose. But I thought I could try some with the milky corn substance, too, since it would have been such a small bit of milk. I had one bite and decided it was too milky. Well, about 2 hours later I was VERY ill and regretting the day my stomach came into existence. I have had no other food that would have made me sick in the past few days, which is usually a problem in deciphering what causes my stomach to be upset. So I can only conclude that it was the little itty bit of milk I consumed. So never let there be any doubt that I am indeed lactose intolerant and no, it is not worth the stomach ache to eat dairy.

Feeling fine now, by the way. :-)

3 comments:

Ulie said...

Oh noooooo!! :( I'm so sorry to hear that you got sick.... yuck. :(
I'm glad to hear you're feeling better, though. :)

Ulie said...

p.s. I'm going to see what lactose-free recipes I can come up with so that you can still have ice cream in the summer. :)

Michelle said...

Oooo, nice! Thanks! I have also found this brand of soy ice cream that actually makes some great flavors, like cookies and cream, cookie dough, and ice cream sandwiches (two of my favorite ice cream treats). But if you find some lactose-free recipes, that would be awesome!