Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Anniversary

Just catching up on posts now that my exams are over...

John and I celebrated our one-year anniversary of dating last month, on March 30. I was supposed to have been in Maryland that weekend, but as you might remember, I was sick and had to cancel my trip. So, since we hadn't anticipated being able to do anything and since I was under the weather, we decided to stay in and cook dinner instead of going out. When I was home for winter break, I went to a business lunch at Ted's Montana Grill and had my first buffalo burger. It was love at first taste. I have been wanting one ever since, but they are hard to come by. Lucky for me, Whole Foods is so awesome that they actually carry buffalo meat that you can grill (and it's not that much more expensive than regular beef!). We planned a menu of buffalo burgers, potatoes, asparagus, and dessert (soy ice cream for me).

Maybe other people know this (perhaps you culinary experts out there), but I did not realize that frying potatoes in oil causes them to make this noise that is kind of between screaming and birds chirping. It really reminded me of the baby mandrakes from Harry Potter that always screamed in their horticulture classes. Since it was my job to make the potatoes, I was fascinated by this and thus, took a video so you can all enjoy it as well. :-)



This is me enjoying the delicious buffalo burger that John so nicely cooked on the grill outside in freezing temps.


John also bought me these really cool flowers. I liked the fact that they weren't your typical flowers.

The stems were kind of crazy bendy...



3 comments:

Ulie said...

Congratulations and happy anniversary to the love birds!! :) What kind of flowers are those? They're gorgeous! Well picked, John.
And I'm glad to read that these were older pics, not that you're secretly turned into a shaggy beast with fast-growing hair. ;) Once the kids are sound asleep I will watch the screaming mandrake taters- I've never heard about that before! You give me such great trivia!

Ulie said...

Bwahahahaha!!! LOL!! I just watched the video and was delighted to recognize your expression of excited surprise. I teared up laughing just now. :) I still can't get over the potatoes.

erin said...

i love your expression too! i don't know why, but for some reason it brought back a whole slew of happy silly college memories. those poor potatoes - "Let me out let me out let me out!! Hot oil!! Hot oil!!" :D