Sunday, October 7, 2007

Stressed

A departure from my recent football posts, I thought I'd let you into my world o' business school as it is 12:10 am and after a fitful hour or so of not being able to fall asleep, I have turned on my favorite relaxing movie, BBC's Pride and Prejudice, and decided to share my stresses with you all since writing usually relieves me from whatever I am stressing about.

The upcoming 2 weeks will be extremely packed with important things and I feel like I have no time to complete them. This is the last week of classes, and next week is exams (which in reality is one take-home exam, one optional exam, and 3 papers). Add to that 3 (up to a possible 6 if I get second round) job interviews and a wedding, and you can begin to imagine why I am feeling the crunch.

This Thursday at 8 am I interview with IBM Global Consulting. I really don't have a desire to work for them and actually didn't even apply for the job, but they put me on the closed list (which is B-school speak for the list of students they want to interview) I'm guessing due to my experience at Toyota. Good news is that it will help me gear up for the more important interviews next Monday and Tuesday with Bearing Point and Accenture, respectively. If I get second rounds with those firms, I believe they occur within 1 or 2 days after the original interview.

My papers are thus: 2 ethics papers -- one big team paper on the ethical issues of Merck's HPV Vaccine called Gardasil that they are attempting to make mandatory and one individual smaller paper on some ethical issues based on a situation we will be given. 1 big negotiations paper where I have to perform a live negotiation outside of class. My original idea was to negotiate with various body shops to fix the paint/scratches left on my car by an unknown person since they did not leave a note. However, I changed my mind and decided to try to negotiate a better deal on car insurance and possibly renter's insurance. So I need to do that this week and then write the paper on it.

Anywho, thus is the nature of b-school. Trying to balance job, school, and social commitments at the same time and excel at each of them. I know that I just need to take one day at a time and do the best I can. But it seems like a lot is riding on these next two weeks. I just hope I get a job offer that I actually want and then I can actually relax and get some sleep!

Thanks for "listening". :-)

1 comment:

Ulie said...

Wow, Michelle... I wish you were packing/moving with me, too... it would be so much smoother sailing for you (plus we would be so consumed with catching up that our worries would completely dissolve, if but temporarily). :( You have quite the season coming up!! I'll be hoping you're able to get some good sleep after productive evenings, but in case you're up again, drop me an email and I will probably still be up, too- and looking for procrastination ideas! :)
...your post also reminded me why I majored in music... ;)