Thursday, October 18, 2007

Apple Picking

Last Sunday morning, John and I went to pick apples at a nearby orchard. They also bake their own fresh donuts and have hot cider. It was delicious! The donut choices are apple (plain or sugared), pumpkin (plain or glazed), plain (plain, sugared, or chocolate glazed), or blueberry (with maple or vanilla frosting). My favorite were the blueberry with maple frosting - it was just like eating a blueberry pancake with syrup, which is my favorite breakfast item. The hot cider was just perfect as well.

The orchards seemed to stretch on for miles, and they had several varieties of apples. They also had raspberries, pumpkins, and gourds to pick. We had asked which were the best apples for making a pie because that is something we had planned to do. We were directed immediately to the Prime Gold apples. They were by far my favorite that we tasted from the trees. We picked a bunch of those and then sampled one each of the many red varieties. We picked some Rome apples and then picked up a few small pumpkins for table decoration at our respective houses. It was the perfect Fall activity and the weather was perfect.

Me among the apple trees. We were regular Johnny Appleseeds. :-)



One of the best parts of apple picking was sampling the apples from the trees.

Here we are in the pumpkin patch (or I should say one of the pumpkin patches since there were 2). There were some families there with little kids, which reminded me of going to pick pumpkins with my parents when I was little. I can't wait to have kids and take them to the pumpkin patch.

This gourd was actually shaped like an apple!

No comments: